The Acting Controller-General, Federal Fire Service (FFS), Dr Karebo Samson has warned Nigerians against storing of Premium Motor Spirits (PMS) popularly known as Petrol in their homes during this period of scarcity to prevent fire outbreak.
In a Press statement issued on Wednesday by Abraham Paul, Public Relations Officer, Federal Fire Service, Dr Karebo said Petrol is a highly inflammable liquid which if not handled carefully can cause serious fire explosion.
“Nigerians must resist the temptation of storing PMS in their homes or other confined places due to the current challenge of scarcity, as doing that will endanger their lives and that of others.
He said Nigerians risk having a fire outbreak or explosion if there is a source of ignition such as a naked flame or an electrical spark near the stored petrol.
“As we all know, children like to experiment, so storing PMS at home could be putting them at high risk especially if it is within their reach,” Samson said.
He explained that invariably, there is always a risk of a fire outbreak or an explosion if there is a source of ignition nearby, such as a naked flame or an electrical spark.
The Ag Controller General stressed that Nigerians should avoid any act which could lead to a fire outbreak in their environment.